Using Couchbase Lite Java edition on Windows

I’ve set up Couchbase Lite in my Android application and gotten it working successfully. However, I can’t figure out how to use the pure Java version on Windows. The download link for the Java Community Version of Lite on the website has a single jar that appears to be the wrong one (java-native-1.0.3.1.jar); it doesn’t contain any of the required classes. There don’t seem to be any tutorials for getting the pure, non-Android library set up in Eclipse. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Ok, I figured out how to build the libraries (java-core and java-native) and I’ve added the jars to my build path. However, there doesn’t seem to be any implementation of Context that I can use to create a Manager. What gives?

In the couchbase-lite-java library, it includes the JavaContext class. Take a look at that.

Ah, I hadn’t even seen that! That looks like just what I need. Unfortunately trying to build it from the command line results in an error: “Could not determine the dependencies of task ‘:compileJava’. Configuration with name ‘default’ not found.”

That sounds like it might be that you haven’t checked out the submodules.

Did you run git submodule init && git submodule update ?

Oops, forgot to read the github instructions… Funny how things tend to work better when you do that :slight_smile: It builds further now, but fails on the testing stage; there is an UnsatisfiedLinkError in CollationTest. It looks like it’s missing a native DLL: “/native/windows/amd64/CouchbaseLiteJavaNative.dll”. I suspect this has something to do with “Toolchains for compiling native libraries as follows:” on the github page, although I have limited experience so I wouldn’t know. Thanks for trying to walk me through this.

Yes, you will need to install the toolchain for Windows. Please report anything you find here so I can try to get it back into the docs to help other users.

Ok, thanks. Once I have Visual Studio, what will I have to do to compile the DLLs?

Yes, just run ‘./gradlew build’ command. And you can zip all the jars by running ‘$ ./gradlew distZip’ after.

That worked perfectly; thanks to all of you. I definitely think the documentation should be more explicit about what is required and the fact that it will work “automagically” once the Visual portion is installed.

Dear,

I am new to couchbase lite, i am working with pure java and couchbase lite.
i am unable to run code mentioned on couchbase lite documentation.

i have created manager through code:
manager = new Manager(new JavaContext(“data”), Manager.DEFAULT_OPTIONS);

after creating manager i want to open db.iuse this:

Database db = manager.getDatabase(“sync_gateway”);

but this through exception

Apr 01, 2015 10:02:53 PM com.couchbase.lite.util.SystemLogger e
SEVERE: Native: Library not found: /native/windows/amd64/CouchbaseLiteJavaNative.dll
Apr 01, 2015 10:02:53 PM com.couchbase.lite.util.SystemLogger e
SEVERE: Native: Error loading library: CouchbaseLiteJavaNative
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.couchbase.lite.util.NativeUtils.loadLibrary(NativeUtils.java:45)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:125)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngineFactory.createStorageEngine(JavaSQLiteStorageEngineFactory.java:6)
at com.couchbase.lite.Database.open(Database.java:907)
at com.couchbase.lite.Manager.getDatabase(Manager.java:236)
at javaapplication16.JavaApplication16.onCreate(JavaApplication16.java:42)
at javaapplication16.JavaApplication16.main(JavaApplication16.java:67)

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine._open(Ljava/lang/String;)J
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine._open(Native Method)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.access$100(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:8)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine$Connection.(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:23)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine$ConnectionPool.start(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:46)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.open(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:138)
at com.couchbase.lite.Database.open(Database.java:910)
Java Result: 1
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

kindly help me, thanks in advance.

Hi @zeeshan_niazi,

CBL Java download package does not includes the native library for Windows platform. It only includes Linux binary. Could you please build couchbase-lite-java-native by yourself? Instruction is in README of https://github.com/couchbase/couchbase-lite-java-native .

@pasin could you please follow up if necessary?

Thanks,
Hideki

hi,
i have downloaded and install gradle. than build couchbasse-lite-java-native-master code with grade.
it generates new folder with name build. in build\libs it generate the jar file “couchbase-lite-java-native-master.jar”. than i have include that jar file in my class path, but still i facing the same error:

Apr 02, 2015 5:51:02 PM com.couchbase.lite.util.SystemLogger e
SEVERE: Native: Library not found: /native/windows/amd64/CouchbaseLiteJavaNative.dll
Apr 02, 2015 5:51:02 PM com.couchbase.lite.util.SystemLogger e
SEVERE: Native: Error loading library: CouchbaseLiteJavaNative
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.couchbase.lite.util.NativeUtils.loadLibrary(NativeUtils.java:45)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:125)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngineFactory.createStorageEngine(JavaSQLiteStorageEngineFactory.java:6)
at com.couchbase.lite.Database.open(Database.java:907)

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine._open(Ljava/lang/String;)J
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine._open(Native Method)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.access$100(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:8)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine$Connection.(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:23)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine$ConnectionPool.start(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:46)
at com.couchbase.lite.storage.JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.open(JavaSQLiteStorageEngine.java:138)
at com.couchbase.lite.Database.open(Database.java:910)
Java Result: 1
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

Can you take a look if the jar file contains any libraries inside? Also are you having visual studio installed in your build machine?

i dont have visual studio installed my machine :frowning:
ok i will install visual studio on my machine. than what i will do, after installing visual studio?
i have one other question.
what i am under standing from couchbase lite database is couchbase server databucket ?

After installing visual studio, you just run gradlew build as you did before. Couchbase Lite is an embedded database that will be run inside an application. It has a replication feature that you can sync your data with Couchbase Server via Sync Gateway. You can learn more about couchbase mobile including couchbase lite from [here] (http://www.couchbase.com/nosql-databases/couchbase-mobile).

Also alternatively you could build all jar files including couchbase-lite-java-native library from couchbase-lite-java as well?

Just follow the instruction here after installing the visual studio:

OK, thanks, after installing visual studio, i will flow the instructions. and get back to you if i face any difficulty.

hi, i have installed visual studio and downloaded the latest code from:

when i run command “gradle build”.
i receive following errors:

C:\Users\LENOVO B5400\Downloads\couchbase-lite-java-master>gradle build

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

• Where:
    Build file ‘C:\Users\LENOVO B5400\Downloads\couchbase-lite-java-master\build.gra
    dle’ line: 31

• What went wrong:
    A problem occurred evaluating root project ‘couchbase-lite-java-master’.

Project with path ‘:libraries:couchbase-lite-java-core’ could not be found in
root project ‘couchbase-lite-java-master’.

• Try:
    Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug
    option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 3.495 secs

C:\Users\LENOVO B5400\Downloads\couchbase-lite-java-master>

• Where:
    Build file ‘C:\Users\LENOVO B5400\Downloads\couchbase-lite-java-master\build.gra

• What went wrong:

• Try:

BUILD FAILED

• Where:

• What went wrong:

• Try:

BUILD FAILED

Did you checkout the git submodules before building?