Around 10% data loss

Hi,

Just got a case that I loss around 10% of my data of the bucket.

I tried to perform cbbackup and found that the progress stopped at around 90%, no matter how many times I tried. And when I cbrestore it to a new server, I found that around 10% keys were lost.

After that I tried to stop the service and start again, but the couchbase-server process just simply failed to start.
From the log (erl_crash.dump.xxxxx), I found something like this:

Slogan: Kernel pid terminated (application_controller) ({application_start_failure,kernel,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,net_sup,{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,net_kernel,{‘EXIT’,nodistribution}}}}},{k

Then, I reboot the whole server and the service could be start again. However, 10% of data were lost and those data were exactly those that wasn’t been cbbackup

The environment detail is as below:
Operating system: Centos 6
Number of CPU core: 2
RAM: 12GB
Number of nodes in cluster: 3
Couchbase version: 3.0.1
Total amount of keys in bucket: 16195
Bucket policy: full eviction

One more finding: I’ve created a development view on the bucket and tried to list all the keys out, the result only contains 15939 “total_rows”, and which the missing keys were those keys that were lost with cbbackup and after restart.

May I know if there’s any extra operations that can be done to prevent this to happen? (e.g. run a command to force write the keys in RAM to disk) Or will there be any way we can know that this has happened so that I will try my best not restart the service?

I believe everyone would agree that data loss is a serious issue for a database, looking forward to a reply.

Thanks.

I’d first highlight you’re running a very old version which went End-Of-Support last year - from https://www.couchbase.com/support-policy:

Release	                Release Date  End of Life Date
Couchbase Server 3.0    Oct 2014      Apr 2016

Additionally, if you read the Release Notes for 3.0.1 you’ll see there’s a known issue with cbbackup, and a workaround listed.

Given you’re running a release which went End-Of-Life over a year ago, I’d recommend upgrading to a newer version - 4.5.1 for CE or 4.6.2 for EE.

Hi,

I’ve tried using version 4.5.1, and dumped some data in using cbrestore.

After letting it run for a week, I tried using cbbackup, but the progress ended at 67.1% and then jumped to next bucket.

The number of keys of the bucket is 2,427,152.

Just saw the release note and found that there’s still issues in cbback with 4.5.x.
I expect community version will only have some features behind enterprise, but now the reality is community version isn’t even a stable version. Even the alert email doesn’t work.

May I know when will 4.6.x be available for community?