Can't find Redis Sorted Set (ZSET) alternative in Couchbase

Hello. I want to know, whether Couchbase allows him to do what in Redis called “Sorted set” For instance, I have millions of sets each of them contains tens of documents. In Redis it is absolutely no problem to achieve, just make as many sets as I want.
But in Couchbase I did not found such feature, only Secondary Index. So I can only make one bucket and put all documents there, separated by index. For instance, in Redis:

set1: [doc1, doc2] set2: [doc1, doc2, doc3]

in Couchbase:

{ "set":"set1", "order": 1, "doc1_json" }, { "set":"set1", "order": 2, "doc2_json" }, { "set":"set2", "order": 1, "doc1_json" }, { "set":"set2", "order": 2, "doc2_json" }

Then I make composite index on (set, order) and query like

"SELECT * FROM my_bucket WHEREset='set1' ORDER BYorderDESC"

Will this work as Redis sets? Will it be fast on tens of millions documents with many inserts? I need ultra fast inserts and selects with same predicted speed regardless of the number of documents in buckets.

Also it would be very helpful to make article describing how to implement Redis types (set, sorted set, list) in Couchbase in best way.

Hi @ravlio,

Can you give more details about how you need to query the data stored in the sorted sets? Specifically:

• Does every set have a unique name/id?
  • Do individual documents appear in more than one set?
  • Do you want to query on the contents of the documents? Or just by set name/id?
  • How often do the contents or order of a set change, if ever?

Couchbase uses JSON as its data model, and JSON supports arrays, which are sorted collections of any data type. Thus you could have:

• Document Key: “set1”, JSON: { “contents”: [“doc1_json”, “doc2_json”] }

• Document Key: “set2”, JSON: { “contents”: [“doc1_json”, “doc2_json”, “doc3_json”] }

By putting the set name/id as the document key, lookup for an individual set uses an extremely fast key-value lookup, e.g.:

SELECT contents FROM my_bucket USE KEYS "set1";

If documents can appear in many different sets, it may be more space-efficient to store each document in Couchbase, and then put the document keys inside the set.

P.s. The JSON data model is quite flexible, and the best way to implement types like “set” or “list” depends a great deal on your specific requirements. If you implement something as an array,

{ "contents": [ "item1", "item2", "item3"] }

you get ordering for free, but searching for an item is O(size of array). But JSON objects behave a lot like Hashes or associative maps, but if order is important you would need to add that explicitly:

{ "contents": { "item1": 1, "item2": 2, "item3": 3 } }

In this approach you can find out if an item is present or absent quickly (e.g. ‘where contents.item1 is not missing’, but ordering requires a sort.

So to decide how to model the data, you need to figure out which operations you need to perform on the data.