Cbbackupmgr backup of prod in staging

Hi
in the past we’ve made backup of live system CE 7.1.1 with cbbackup and did restore this in our staging by copy the backup via tar archive to staging.

This works ok up to the point we use collections.
These collection are not restored.

Is there a way to backup and restore these collection with cbbackup?

As a alternative I try to backup and restore by using cbbackupmgr.

My steps :

• create archive with repo in live with option --disable-bucket-config to prevent problems with different memory configuration
  • make backup
  • tar the backup-archiv and copy to staging system
  • untar the archive in staging
  • call cbbackupmgr restore --purge --auto-create-buckets -a -r backup -c http://couchbase -u -p

But the cbbackupmgr exits without restore and any error or other message.

I can call cbbackupmgr info on the untared archive without problems

I can’t not find any problems in debug.log

Do I missing some steps?

Thx

Hello @markdg

cbbackup was replaced with cbbackupmgr in the 4.5 Couchbase Server Enterprise Edition and more recently in the 7.0 Couchbase Server Community Edition, so it should be the only tool used.
Note that the two tools use different backup file formats.

It seems like you are creating backups without the bucket metadata then needing this metadata when restoring your backup. These two actions seem to be incompatible. I would try to keep the bucket config and change the bucket options after restoring the backup or potentially modifying the metadata in the backup file.

Thanks,
Ian McCloy (Couchbase Principal Product Manager)

Hi @ianmccloy
thanks for reply.

Yes, I have now removed the --disable-bucket-config option and creating in the target system the bucket manually before restore.
Now it works.

The exit of the cbbackupmgr without any message or error was very confusing.
It was not possible to find out the reason for this.

Can I set the bucket memory size to the auto-create-bucket if the target system has lower memory than the source system?

Regards
Mark

In regards to the exit of cbbackupmgr without a message in the scenario mentioned – looks like this issue will be fixed in a future version.

When you look in your archive directory (–archive that you used with cbbackupmgr), you’ll see that there is a logs directory. You can always look at the log in the archive logs directory to get more info. In this case, there was an issue during the auto create of the bucket (so, at least you’ll have known that the problem was with the --auto-create-buckets option).