Change notification from Couchbase server?

I’ve searched the forum and the internet but all the answers appear to be around 2 years old or older. I have a couchbase server with a handful of documents and a client that needs notification whenever a specific document or set of documents change. I can implement some kind of polling, but that seems like kind of a wasteful approach. Other answers have referred to implementing an XDCR endpoint, or registering for the DCP. This sounds like what I want, but is this still the right approach? Is there an API reference? Does anyone have example code? I’m working in Python and C, but I’ll read and translate whatever.

My overall goal is to evaluate whether I can relay time series data through couchbase. One or more machines will feed snapshots of system state to the couchbase server, and another machine that may or may not always be on will pull and process the current data. I only want the last X versions to be kept in couchbase so I’m currently bouncing the data through a queue using queue_push and trimming it with queue_pop based on queue_size. If someone has a better/faster/cleaner approach please let me know.