Couchbase 2.2.0 with AWS EC2 low end servers

Hi,

Is there any known issue when running a couchbase server 2.2.0 instance on lower end AWS EC2 servers such as t1.micro or m1.small?

See those servers’ specs here:

What I am seeing is that couchbase server runs fine (even though installation said it required 4gb ram, which I don’t have); however, when there’s some traffic to my web app that uses couchbase (even with very minor traffic), occasionally connecting to couchbase from php would fail.

An example error message would be following:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘CouchbaseLibcouchbaseException’ with message ‘Failed to connect libcouchbase to the server: Connection failure’ in /…/Couch.class.php:39
Stack trace:
#0 /…/Couch.class.php(39): Couchbase->__construct(Array, ‘’, ‘’, ‘default’, true)
[… stack trace …]

That line does this:
$this->couchbase = new Couchbase($serversArray, ‘’, ‘’, ‘default’, true);

Like I was saying, this doesn’t happen all the time, so I know my set up should be correct. (In fact, it happens rarely, but it does happen – and that is worrying, as we get real users, even if it happens 0.01% of time, that is not good)

Is it because I don’t have the stated requirement of 4gb ram on my server? Is this known – should I simply pay for a higher grade server for couchbase?

Thanks!

Hi there.

You may want to try installing CBS on atleast medium instanced.
It may not work well on micro instances given the erlang cpu usage it needs.

Hi dipti, thanks for your reply.

We will try m1.medium or m3.medium if this issue continues to happen for us (which has 3.75gb ram according to specs).

We are currently using m1.small and it had definitely improved since (from when we used t1.micro), although I had still seen it happen.

Is it a known behavior for couchbase to fail to be connected to, when the server does not have sufficient cpu/ram power to run it?