Couchbase 2.2 - Cannot connect to console after installation

I have installed Couchbase 2.2.0 for Windows 7 64 bits. I installed it using the default options. The service gets installed and I can stop/start or restart it without errors. However, I cannot connect to the management console on port 8091.

I’ve found some posts on how to deal with this but they all relate to older versions of couchbase and reference files/options I can’t find in version 2.2 (for example this post : http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15137996/unable-to-connect-to-http-localhost8091-index-html).

When I try netstat -an -p tcp I can’t see any service listening on port 8091 so I suspect something goes wrong during startup.

Looking in the couchbase log in /var/lib/couchbase/logs I can see some errors but they don’t make sense to me.

[ns_server:info,2014-02-15T9:55:52.778,babysitter_of_ns_1@127.0.0.1:<0.89.0>:supervisor_cushion:handle_info:58]Cushion managed supervisor for ns_server failed:  {abnormal,3}
[error_logger:error,2014-02-15T9:55:52.778,babysitter_of_ns_1@127.0.0.1:error_logger<0.6.0>:ale_error_logger_handler:log_msg:76]** Generic server <0.90.0> terminating 
** Last message in was {#Port<0.3907>,{exit_status,3}}
** When Server state == {state,#Port<0.3907>,ns_server,
                               {[" {init,start_em,1}]"," {init,start_it,1},",
                                 " {child_erlang,child_start,1},",
                                 "[{child_erlang,do_child_start,1},",
                                 "Crap error:{badmatch,{error,{shutdown,{os_mon,start,[normal,[]]}}}}",
                                 "kernel-poll not supported; \"K\" parameter ignored",
                                 empty],
                                [empty,empty,empty,empty,empty,empty,empty,
                                 empty,empty,empty,empty,empty,empty,empty,
                                 empty,empty]},
                               undefined,[],0,true}
** Reason for termination == 
** {abnormal,3}

[ns_server:info,2014-02-15T9:55:52.778,babysitter_of_ns_1@127.0.0.1:<0.89.0>:supervisor_cushion:die_slowly:80]Service ns_server exited on node 'babysitter_of_ns_1@127.0.0.1' in 2.06s

[error_logger:error,2014-02-15T9:55:52.778,babysitter_of_ns_1@127.0.0.1:error_logger<0.6.0>:ale_error_logger_handler:log_report:72]
=========================CRASH REPORT=========================
  crasher:
    initial call: ns_port_server:init/1
    pid: <0.90.0>
    registered_name: []
    exception exit: {abnormal,3}
      in function  gen_server:terminate/6
    ancestors: [<0.89.0>,child_ns_server_sup,ns_babysitter_sup,<0.58.0>]
    links: [<0.89.0>,#Port<0.3907>]
    dictionary: []
    trap_exit: true
    heap_size: 2584
    stack_size: 24
    reductions: 1940
  neighbours:

When I compare the logs on this pc with logs on a pc where couchbase works, I see I miss most logging, the server seems to crash shortly after trying to startup.
The windows firewall is running but, since I installed the same version of couchbase on another machine with the same Windows version without troubles I can’t imagine that the firewall is causing this trouble.

In the meantime, I have uninstalled 2.2 and tried falling back to 2.1 (with the same result) and moving forward to 2.5 (with the same result). In all cases I turned of antivirus software and stopped the Windows firewall to eliminate this cause.

I’m out of options though, I have no idea why I can’t get this to work.

We have tested most of our functionality on Windows, but have not encountered this issue. Can you please create a bug report so we can follow it up?

There is info on using cbcollect_info here:
http://www.couchbase.com/docs//couchbase-manual-2.0/couchbase-admin-cmdline-cbcollect_info.html

And the bug database is here:
http://www.couchbase.com/issues/browse/MB

Please also take a look at Windows Event Viewer and particularly the Application Log there, to see if anything interesting is reported by the OS around the time you start the Couchbase Server.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you Siri, I created an issue (http://www.couchbase.com/issues/browse/MB-10245) and checked the event logs. The only message related to Couchbase I could find after starting up the Couchbase server is :

CouchbaseServer: Erlang service started successfully.

This apperas in the System log.