Couchbase 4.0 Beta Released!

Hi Arihant, Can you please follow the step-by-step instructions in documentation (http://docs.couchbase.com/4.0/getting-started/index.html) on Windows. Let us know if you still see problem. You can download the 4.0 Beta binaries from http://www.couchbase.com/nosql-databases/downloads#PreRelease.

I enabled the query and index service on my 4.0 couchbase instance. When I query getting below error. Any help.

27-Jun-2015 10:25:31.203 WARNING [cb-io-1-4] com.couchbase.client.core.endpoint.
AbstractEndpoint$2.operationComplete [null][QueryEndpoint]: Could not connect to
endpoint, retrying with delay 256 MILLISECONDS:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: no further information: TTT/19
2.168.1.2:8093
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.checkConnect(Native Method)
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(Unknown Source)
at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioSocketChanne
l.doFinishConnect(NioSocketChannel.java:208)
at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$Abs
tractNioUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractNioChannel.java:281)
at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSe
lectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:528)
lectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:468)
lectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:382)
at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEv
entLoop.java:354)
at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventE
xecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:116)
at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultThreadFacto
ry$DefaultRunnableDecorator.run(DefaultThreadFactory.java:137)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Connection issue resolved. It ended to be issue at my end port was not forwarded correctly to my server and anti virus was blocking the port.

What is the approx. time when Couchbase 4 will get its Community Edition?

Thanks!

Hi, Community Edition for 4.0 will be released at the same time with Enterprise Edition in Q3 this year. In the meantime you can check out 4.0 Beta version http://www.couchbase.com/nosql-databases/downloads#PreRelease.

@anil, really appreciate your quick response!

Hello,

On setup of the Couchbase 4.0 Beta version I noticed that the rpm file I downloaded has “enterprise” in the name and the setup has an EULA that looks to belong to an enterprise edition item. I was wondering if this edition held licensing and subscription requirements similar to the fully developed enterprise versions or if it was without fees the way the cbq-engine developer previews and the couchbase 3.0 community editions were. Intuitively, it seems it would be one way, but I wanted to be sure whether there were licensing requirements before I unknowingly made a commitment.

Thank you for your time.

Couchbase 4.0 has Filtered XDCR via REGEX on key. This is a HUGE feature for Couchbase.
https://issues.couchbase.com/browse/MB-9395

Hi @ingenthr,

Does Couchbase 4 supports transactions?

HI @ingenthr

What is ETA on Couchbase 4.0 GA release and the JDK that goes with it ?
We need to start automating Index creation and dropping via a API and Multi Dimensional Scaling is important for us .
Good Work on CB it is the future !!!

Thanks
George

Hi George,

Release date will be mostly dependent on fixing known issues and test results, but if we’re true to form then GA should be within 2-3 months of the Beta.

The Java SDK should simultaneously ship, or very close to it. As you know, the N1QL features are in the current SDK marked experimental so you can start doing development now, and then it’ll be fully supported in the next minor (i.e. 2.2) release of the SDK.

I hope that helps!

Matt

Hi @Sergei_Bershadsky. If you’re looking for atomic updates across multiple documents in Couchbase 4.0, no. As you may know though, you can model transactions around a single document. Maybe with more of a description of your use case, we can describe how you’d achieve what you’re looking to do?

Do you have a rough estimate when Couchbase 4.0 will be released? I’m right now developing a software which will go into production later this year (October/November timeframe) which could make great use of N1QL and I was wondering if I should stay with Couchbase 3 (without N1QL) for now or if Couchbase 4 will be available for production use by then.

Hi @peda, it is hard to be exact with dates but we are planning on hitting early Q3 for the launch of 4.0. We working hard to meet the timeline but the release date is based on the quality of the product. We will continue development until we are satisfied with the quality and that sometimes mean we may need to delay the plan.
thanks
-cihan

@cihangirb thanks for the information - i do fully understand that quality of the product is more important than meeting the timeline. Just one more question - do you know if there will be the possibility to upgrade from 4.0 beta to 4.0 final release or does that require a new installation?

Exciting news!

Can I obtain the source code for 4.0 beta and build it myself? If so, how?

All of the source is on github under the Couchbase organization. The best starting point is the repo manifest.

Does anyone have a test docker image of this release candidate they have been working with? Ideally, I am looking to create a minimal 3 node cluster on a single host.

You can improve query performance with secondary indexes. Want to create a bunch of indexes? Go for it. Want to create a compound index on multiple fields? Go for it. Worried about what will happen to query performance as the number of nodes increases? Don’t. We implemented global secondary indexes. The key word being “global”. A global secondary index is not partitioned. It’s a whole index. After all, it’s a lot faster to check a whole index on one node than it is to check a partial index on every node.

1 Like