Couchbase DCP Client 0.10.0 fails with java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException for DcpMutationMessage

dcp
java

My environment:

• DCP Client version 0.10.0
  • Core IO version 1.4.4
  • Java SDK version 2.4.4
  • RxJava version 1.2.7

While calling DcpMutationMessage.contentBytes(byteBuf), I am getting following exception

2017-06-26 16:37:49.492 [Thread: nioEventLoopGroup-5-2] WARN com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline# - An exceptionCaught() event was fired, and it reached at the tail of the pipeline. It usually means the last handler in the pipeline did not handle the exception.
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: index: 0, length: 549 (expected: range(0, 477))
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.buffer.AbstractByteBuf.checkIndex0(AbstractByteBuf.java:1125) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.buffer.SlicedByteBuf.getBytes(SlicedByteBuf.java:199) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.buffer.AbstractByteBuf.getBytes(AbstractByteBuf.java:440) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.dcp.message.DcpMutationMessage.contentBytes(DcpMutationMessage.java:50) ~[dcp-client-0.10.0.jar:?]
	at com.demo.dcpclient.util.function.Functions.lambda$7(Functions.java:149) ~[bin/:?]
	at com.demo.dcpclient.listener.DCPEventListenerRunnable.lambda$1(DCPEventListenerRunnable.java:185) ~[bin/:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.dcp.Client$3.onEvent(Client.java:295) ~[dcp-client-0.10.0.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.dcp.transport.netty.DcpMessageHandler.channelRead(DcpMessageHandler.java:87) ~[dcp-client-0.10.0.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:356) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:342) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:335) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.fireChannelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:293) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.fireChannelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:280) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.callDecode(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:396) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:248) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:356) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:342) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:335) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.channelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1294) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:911) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:131) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:625) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:560) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:477) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:439) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:131) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at com.couchbase.client.deps.io.netty.util.concurrent.DefaultThreadFactory$DefaultRunnableDecorator.run(DefaultThreadFactory.java:144) ~[core-io-1.4.4.jar:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_121]

The code that is throwing this exception is MessageUtil.getContent(byteBuf) (line # 203 which is buffer.slice().

This is causing a huge roadblock for our current development. Appreciate if anybody can help us.

P.S.: I do not have a JIRA account; hence, creating a topic here.

@avsej can you help us here?

The 0.11 picks up a new core, and to make sure we track against this I’ve filed JDCP-57. That may be fixed by that new core update, which you can build yourself to try to help test.

The commit with the new core update is here: https://github.com/couchbaselabs/java-dcp-client/commit/9b373d0fea522ae88b844e1773139fb83aca2a5f

Track that issue though. Thanks!

@ingenthr i tried using the code from the GitHub link you provided. It fixes one of the bugs that I was getting earlier (Couchbase DCP Client 0.10.0 fails with java.lang.NoSuchMethodError), but this Index OOB exception is still there.

The exception is thrown from DCP client MessageUtil.getContent(byteBuf) line # 203 which is buffer.slice().

I am keeping an eye on the JIRA; but do you have any timeline in your mind for the fix?

Thanks,
Niranjan

Thanks for the update and testing. Good to know. I don’t have a timeline exactly, since I don’t think we know root cause quite yet. @avsej and I talked earlier and he was going to have a look today/tomorrow (he’s in Europe). He’ll probably update this thread or the issue.

Sounds good. Thank you for the information.

Hi @niranjan.nanda, I’ve fixed issue on master. contentBytes is basically handy shortcut on content method, so you can workaround it using the following code:

ByteBuf content = DcpMutationMessage.content(event);
byte[] bytes = new byte[content.readableBytes()];
content.getBytes(content.readerIndex(), bytes);

Hi @ingenthr, @avsej, I took the code today from master and could see this bug fixed. I am able to consume message content from events.

Current master has fixed two issues faced by us (Core-IO and this), so, we would like to see if this can be released asap. Any timeline in mind?

Thanks,
Niranjan

It is currently passed to our QE team, and once they will check that there are no new regressions – I’ll make release.

@avsej Any update on this?

HI @niranjan.nanda, sorry for delay, I’ve just published 0.11.0: https://github.com/couchbaselabs/java-dcp-client/releases/tag/0.11.0

It is already accessible on maven central.
http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|com.couchbase.client|dcp-client|0.11.0|jar