Couchbase server 4.1.0(CE) console won't open after installation

I am pretty new to Couchbase, so I am still learning and forgive me if I am asking too obvious question.
I just downloaded community addition of the server on my MacBook Pro OS X(El Capitan) and following installation instruction, i.e. unzipped the folder and moved Couchbase Server.app to ~/Applications folder. It does show up in the Launchpad. If I double click the icon looks like it launches. At least little Couchbase icon appears on the top task bar.
If I click on it, it does show the menu and I can get ‘About Couchbase Server’ topic.
However, it does not open administrator console, while menu item ‘Launch Admin Console at Start’ is checked. When I do try to open it manually, browser pages popes up, but says that it cannot to connect to 127.0.0.1:8091
Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Hi Gary - I suggest you take a look at the logs and see if there’s anything in there. This doc tells you where to find the logs: http://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/server/current/clustersetup/ui-logs.html
(Docs are for a newer release but log file location should be the same)
-Will

There are many files in the log directory.
I looked up several that are growing constantly.

1. error.log - every 6 seconds new message appears there:

ns_config<0.147.0>:ns_config_default:upgrade_config:427]Detected an attempt to offline upgrade from unsupported version {4,5}. Terminating.

1. babysitter.log - every second it reports a crash:

=========================CRASH REPORT=========================
crasher:
initial call: erlang:apply/2
pid: <0.508.0>
registered_name:
exception exit: {abnormal,1}
in function restartable:loop/4 (src/restartable.erl, line 69)
ancestors: [child_ns_server_sup,ns_babysitter_sup,<0.59.0>]
dictionary:
trap_exit: true
heap_size: 28690
stack_size: 27
reductions: 115
neighbours:

there are also info report, supervisor report, progress report there. In an hour this log file exceeded 120 MB.

There are also constantly growing debug.log and info.log, containing some JSON documents and messages.

It doesn’t look to me that server is running as it suppose to. But I don’t know what I can do to remedy the problem.

Ok, maybe you had a previous version installed and didn’t uninstall it before installing 4.1.0? On a Mac you need to delete them before you try to install a new version.

http://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/server/current/install/macos-install.html

rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Couchbase
 rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Membase
1 Like

Yes, that was it. Thank you very much.
I have it up and running.
If you can also recommend me the best strategy to upgrade 10 nodes cluster from v.2.2 to 4.1 without bringing it down, I’ll be happy as a clam.

Hi Gary - Have you consulted the docs? We reworked those in 4.5 to be more clear - make sure you follow the various links for the different options. This is a good starting point:
http://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/server/4.5/install/upgrade.html

You should be able to use this info even for older versions, although some options won’t apply. For example, if you’re coming from 2.x you won’t have query or secondary indexes, there was only one version of XDCR, etc. Hope that helps.
-Will

Sorry, but this article does not give me much insight. It describes the process - rolling upgrade, offline upgrade, etc., but won’t tell anything about how to do it and what tools to use. Upgrade matrix won’t even mentioned v.2.2.
I have read in the forum that XDCR is having compatibility issues with older versions.
cbtransfer utility from 4.1.x installation won’t backup 2.x bucket. It reports an error:

error: cannot back up 2.x or older clusters with 3.x tools

I presume that restoring from 2.x backup will have problems too.
We tried to use sqoop utility to unload documents into JSON file, but got some data loss.
We have close to a 100 million documents in the database and cannot to lose any.