Database encryption removed from Couchbase Lite 2.0

In the release notes for Couchbase Mobile 2.0 it is noted that encryption has been removed in Couchbase Lite 2.0 (https://developer.couchbase.com/documentation/mobile/2.0/references/couchbase-lite/release-notes/index.html).

Is there a documented reason for this change anywhere; I tried looking around but didn’t see anything. I am admittedly pretty disappointed in this as this throws out Couchbase Lite for my current use case.

Sorry to hear that. The feature is being moved to the (non-free) Enterprise Edition, for business reasons — Couchbase needs paying customers, to motivate further investment in mobile.

We didn’t have quite enough time to test encryption in 2.0 so it’s been moved out to 2.1, but it will definitely be available in the 2.1 EE release. You can contact our sales department to see if the licensing cost is affordable to you.

I am a paying customer. Thanks for the insight!

The first Developer Preview release of v2.1 will be coming out in the next couple of days - this DP will include encryption support. Would love to get your feedback on the same. (Which platform are you on BTW)?

Platform is Xamarin.Forms - will work on getting the DP for 2.1 integrated tomorrow.

Are there any need to knows or particulars for Android/iOS specific projects? I was able to get 1.4.X setup in my project but it only ran on the iOS project and not the Android project.

If I understood your question correctly- Encryption should be supported on Xamarin iOS and Android projects as well…at least thats the expectation.

Hi,

Am I correctly understanding that for the Community Edition it won’t be possible to use SQLCipher in Couchbase Lite 2.x? Or are we talking about another form of encryption?

Thanks.

Encryption altogether will be an enterprise edition feature and will no longer use SQLCipher as an encryption provider.

Ok, thanks for the information.