ERROR: Could not build wheels for couchbase which use PEP 517 and cannot be installed directly

Hi,

I am trying to install sdk 3 of couchbase on my Windows machine but I am facing issue while running “python -m pip install couchbase” command. The error is related to the build of the wheel for couchbase, I am using windows 10, python 3.7.4 , I’ve tried verious version discussed in similar topic but none seems to work for me, this is my error log, can someone please help me?

Hi @Nicola_Marchiotto I am pretty sure you would have tried everything,

I see first error in the attached log as ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘docutils’

did you try installing docutils ? Also tagging @davidkelly

Hi @Nicola_Marchiotto -
We distribute the wheel already built for windows, so I’d think this couldn’t happen. But, we only distribute them for 64-bit python. The error logs look like you are running a 32-bit (x86) python. Do you really need 32-bit python?

If you really need 32-bit, I can check to see if it is possible. We use libcouchbase under the hood in the Python SDK, and I’m not at all sure we can compile in 32-bits.

Thanks for the support, I’ve installed python 3.9 64-bit and docutils module but the error still occurs, during the installation the command window still says that docutils is missing even if I can see that it is installed by the pip list command, here’s my new error log

@Nicola_Marchiotto - sorry I should have mentioned that we also don’t distribute a binary for python 3.9. Try 3.8 or 3.7 instead, they works fine for me. We will probably build for python 3.9 soon – now that there is a stable version. But, unsure exactly when that will come out.

2 Likes

@davidkelly I’m getting same issue on Mac.
Version :Python 3.8.7 for macOS 10.9 or later for the following architecture(s): x86_64.
Can you pls suggest

@sv Did you fix it yet? My colleague got the same issue but I didn’t and we created the same virtual environment. Finally I fixed it for my colleague by downgrading python from 3.8.2 to 3.7.0 and the couchbase could be installed. Although it’s fixed but I don’t know why. Please let me know if you find any other solutions.