Error on gamesim-sample views {badmatch,{error,etxtbsy}}

I’m using Couchabse 3.0.1 Community Edition on Ubuntu 12.04
Single node
For development and evaluation purposes

I was trying to use views and not able to get them working. I thought it was something I’m doing wrong. So I restarted the server, installed the “gamesim-sample” bucket that comes with Couchbase. The same error still happens on the provided views.

Is this a known issue? Not sure where to go from here?

Would really like some help, as I was thinking Couchbase could fit my project’s need.

Query:
http://192.168.33.10:8092/gamesim-sample/_design/players/_view/leaderboard?inclusive_end=false&stale=false&connection_timeout=60000&limit=10&skip=0
Error:
{badmatch,{error,etxtbsy}} ([{couch_set_view_group,handle_info,2, [{file,"/home/buildbot/buildbot_slave/ubuntu-1204-x64-301-builder/build/build/couchdb/src/couch_set_view/src/couch_set_view_group.erl"}, {line,1167}]}, {gen_server,handle_msg,5,[{file,“gen_server.erl”},{line,604}]}, {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,[{file,“proc_lib.erl”},{line,239}]}])

I didn’t find any known issues, but what seems to be happening there is the view handler is working with some files (trying to write to an executable file) and something else is modifying them concurrently. That’s what the ETXTBSY means. Like I said, this doesn’t appear in our issue tracker anywhere so I’m betting it’s something environmental.

Are you using any kind of shared filesystem on this system like NFS?

If not, maybe somehow you’ve gotten the service started twice? I’d run /etc/init.d/couchbase-server stop followed by ps -u couchbase to see if any processes are still running, then stop (kill) them if not.

1 Like

Thank you ingenthr! You hit the nail on the head.

It turns out that is exactly what is happening, I am running Ubuntu in a Virtual Box environment and the Couchbase data files are on a shared NFS file system.

When I moved the data files to the Ubuntu file system the error went away.

Much Appeciated!