Get documents with a specific key using all-docs query

Hi all,

in the queries Guide section I read:

…You use an all-docs query to find all the documents in the database, or the documents with keys in a specific range, or even the documents with a specific set of keys.

So this sounds like I can get a set of documents without creating a specific view. But… what is the document key? How do I define it? Is it a special document property?

Thanks

Hi,

The default behavior in Couchbase Lite is to assign a key automatically to a document. If you want to specify the ID, you can either add the _id property to your doc, or call the getDocument(docId) method. If the document with key docId does not exist, it will return a document with docId as key, but not persisted. You will have to add your data and then save the doc.

Hello @cabbi,

You can find the different ways to set the keys on the query (by range or passing in an array of keys) here http://developer.couchbase.com/mobile/develop/references/couchbase-lite/couchbase-lite/query/query/index.html

With the allDocs query, the key is always _id, so if you need to query on another key you’ll have to create a view to index documents by that other key.

James