Gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2

Hi there,

I am running VS on a WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and when I am trying to do ‘npm install’ I am getting an error which says

make: Leaving directory ‘/home/rishabh/customer-management-api/node_modules/couchbase/build’
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/home/rishabh/.nvm/versions/node/v13.3.0/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:194:23)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:219:5)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:274:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.4.0-18362-Microsoft
gyp ERR! command “/home/rishabh/.nvm/versions/node/v13.3.0/bin/node” “/home/rishabh/.nvm/versions/node/v13.3.0/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js” “rebuild”
gyp ERR! cwd /home/rishabh/customer-management-api/node_modules/couchbase
gyp ERR! node -v v13.3.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.0.5
gyp ERR! not ok
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! couchbase@2.6.9 install: prebuild-install || node-gyp rebuild
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the couchbase@2.6.9 install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

As I am a new user, I am unable to upload the debug log, I appreciate your help to get this resolved.

Thanks,
Rishabh

Hi Rishabh,

I was wondering if you figured out what this problem was. If so I would love to hear , otherwise maybe I can help you to trouble shoot and fix as I ran into the same issue. I pulled down a repo which had been running on a Windows 10 machine with zero issues. But on my MacBook I get this same error. I’m trying different node versions at the moment to try and fix. Thanks.

Hi Eric,

Haven’t got any luck here. In my case as well, things work in Linux machines but not on WSL machine. Please let me know if you come across something or a fix.

Do you happen to have this project running on any other system? For instance, your PC or MacBook. Just wondering if this problem is isolated to your Linux Subsystem or if you have experienced the same issue on a MacBook, do you have a MacBook or other linux/Unix machine that it has successfully built?

Things run fine on AWS workspace (Linux) which I am using right now. Problem is with WSL devices.

On the machine that it is not working, would you happen to be running nvm as opposed to not using nvm on the machine that it is working on? I really don’t think it’s an npm issue, but thought I would ask.

Issue created this is being fixed, a new version of the SDK should be pushed soon, otherwise you could fall back to Node v12 or earlier and that should potentially fix it. Sorry about delay since you asked the question, I just started a ew days ago and its the first I have seen the issue. Actually found it because I was searching for the same problem.

New version of Node seems to have broke an API or two in the SDK. Our engineers are aware and creating a solution. Great that we caught this before the weekend, thanks for bringing it up!

This issue should be fixed with a patch, it’s recommended to update to the latest version 2.6.10 anyways. There are a few fixes added to this patch!

Please let me know if you continue to have any issues! I just tested it out and everything is ok on my end…

Hello,

I’m getting the same issue now. I’m using Node 12.16.10 and npm 6.13.4. I’m trying to install Coucbhase 3.0.0. I’m on MacOS 10.14.5 . I’ve tried several other Couchbase versions but to no avail. I’m getting the error:

gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:194:23)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:321:20)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:275:12)
gyp ERR! System Darwin 18.6.0
gyp ERR! command “/usr/local/bin/node” “/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js” “rebuild”
gyp ERR! cwd /Users/bschroer/Workspace/ecomlib/node_modules/couchbase
gyp ERR! node -v v12.16.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.0.5
gyp ERR! not ok

Can anyone advise? cc @ericb

Thank you,
Brian

I don’t think that Couchbase SDK 3 is compatible with Node 12.X. I would suggest upgrading to version 13.X of node if you are using SDK V3. Get back and let us know if that fixes your situation.

I run NVM on my machine to ensure that I can switch between node versions easily.

I’m currently using nvm (node version 13.5) along with SDK 3. I know that I had issues using node v 12.14 in the past.

Thanks very much for you answer, Eric! We would like to stay on Node 12.x since it is the latest LTS. I tried installing Couchbase 2.6.10, 2.6.9,2.6.8,2.6.7, 2.6.6 and got the same errors. Finally, I downgraded to Node 10.x, and was able to install Couchbase 2.6.6.

We would really prefer to stay on Node 12, though. Can you think of any ways to work around this? I tried a couple different versions of Node 12 and still got the same error message when trying to install Couchbase

P.S. We are not very particular about our Couchbase version, we just want it to be compatible with Node 12