How to do projection in map/reduce view?

I am very new Couchabse and I have been reading the docs even though it is well written but I guess I lack some basic knowledge / context about Couchbase document design in general so the docs were very hard for me to understand.

So I have two types of documents blog / comment as below and I am trying to project the view into something like view1 below.

blog::aaa { title: ‘aaa’, content: ‘bbbb’ }
comment::1 { author:‘john’, comment: ‘blah’, blog_id: ‘blog::aaa’ }
comment::2 { author:‘bob’, comment: ‘blah22’, blog_id: ‘blog::aaa’ }

view1 {
rows: [
{ title: ‘aaa’, author: ‘john’ },
{ title: ‘aaa’, author: ‘bob’ }
]}

The blog / comment may not be appropriate example for this type of design but I am basically mimicking has many / belong to relationship as found in the doc relating-documents-for-retrieval. I am stuck on how to achieve view1, is it the job of view or is it the job of SDK or is it the combination of view and SDK?

Thanks.

http://www.couchbase.com/docs/couchbase-devguide-2.0/relating-documents-for-retrieval.html

I was reading about couchdb since couchbase is based on it. There’s a Linked_documents using include_docs=true but I can’t find anything in couchbase. I think this is what I need to achieve what I am trying to do. Does couchbase support linked documents at all?

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Introduction_to_CouchDB_views#Linked_documents

Hello,

Using Couchbase you cannot get any linked document in a view/query. The Map/Reduce receives only the current document as parameter (doc) and cannot access other document.

So if you want to get linked document you have to do a lookup using the key, so you retrieve the document using the view, and then do a client.get(“id”);

You can also do some interesting queries using collated views, but it is not what you need in your case:

The feature you are referring from CouchDB does not exist inside Couchbase. Couchbase applications are usually not using the include_docs parameters that returns the doc but retrieve the document using a get operation (done automatically in the Java SDK). The get is really fast since it is based on memcached.

Regards
Tug
@tgrall

Thanks for your reply.

You mentioned that Map/Reduce receives only the current doc hence I need to use client.get(“id”) to access other documents. In case I need to access multiple documents I guess client.getBulk() would be my best option and this eliminates multiple trips to the Couchbase. Am I correct?

I am still reading about collated views so I don’t have any comments at this stage.

I don’t really understand your last paragraph would you be able to elaborate.
Couchbase applications are usually not using the include_docs parameters that returns the doc but retrieve the document using a get operation (done automatically in the Java SDK). The get is really fast since it is based on memcached.”

Thank you.

So collated views is really just a pattern not a Couchbase specific feature?