How to optimize Couchbase client settings to get the N1Q1Query result

I am using Couchbase community edition-5.0.1 cluster with two nodes. I am trying to execute a simple N1Q1Query using java-client-2.7.4 which has 8Lakh jsondocuments to return. But the following BlockingObservable code always throws TimeoutException.

String query = "SELECT * FROM health WHERE type="cardio";
healthBucket.async().query(N1qlQuery.simple(query))
        .flatMap(AsyncN1qlQueryResult::rows)
        .map(new Func1<AsyncN1qlQueryRow, HObj>() {
          @Override
          public HObj call(AsyncN1qlQueryRow row) {
            HObj hObj = null;
            for (String key : row.value().getNames()) {
              hObj = new HObj(row.value().getObject(key).toMap(), true);
            }

return hObj;
          }
        }).toList().toBlocking().first();

I also created index for this bucket as

CREATE INDEX cardio_idx ON health(type) WHERE type=“cardio”;

This is my custom environment used to create CouchbaseCluser

CouchbaseEnvironment env = DefaultCouchbaseEnvironment.builder()
        .connectTimeout(10000) //10000ms = 10s, default is 5s
        .queryTimeout(240000)
        .viewTimeout(240000)
        .kvTimeout(180000)
        .tracer(tracer)
        .build();

Exception:

java.lang.RuntimeException java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: {"b":"ymsconfig","r":"10.62.1.183:8093","s":"n1ql","c":"6ECD82F738A3EF6A/FFFFFFFF9185D7CB","t":240000000,"i":"6a26a67c-8cde-4f1a-904d-1a21ffc4aa50","l":"10.212.134.200:58729"}
at rx.exceptions.Exceptions.propagate(Exceptions.java:57)
at rx.observables.BlockingObservable.blockForSingle(BlockingObservable.java:463)
at rx.observables.BlockingObservable.first(BlockingObservable.java:166)
at com.foo.db.CouchbaseDS.getHealthRecordss(CouchbaseDS.java:1257)
at com.foo.service.webapp.HealthServlet.healthRecords(HealthServlet.java:294)
at com.foo.service.webapp.UploadPriceFloorServlet.service(UploadPriceFloorServlet.java:180)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:742)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at org.apache.catalina.filters.CorsFilter.handleNonCORS(CorsFilter.java:441)
at org.apache.catalina.filters.CorsFilter.doFilter(CorsFilter.java:169)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:198)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:496)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:140)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:81)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:650)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:342)

The same query works fine for smaller volume of data but for large volume it always throws an exception. How to change my envionment to execute the query effectively.

How long does the same query take if you run it from the Couchbase Admin UI, in the query tab? If it’s longer than 240s then you may need to adjust your queryTimeout higher.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it takes more than 240s to complete the query execution.

Ok. What happens if the data volume increases? In this case, again queryTimeout should be optimized?

Yes, that’s correct.

I’m far from an expert on query and indexes (I work on the SDKs), but do you actually need the ‘WHERE’ clause on the index? Could you try creating another index without it, and see if that improves the speed?

Also , how many results are being returned?

240sec is 4min, Instead of getting whole data through N1QL, Use N1QL covered query get the document keys and use SDK fetch the documents from KV.

SELECT RAW META().id FROM health WHERE type=“cardio”

Thanks for your reply.

As per my understanding, this solution will avoid timeout issue. So I tried this solution like this, but I couldn’t able to get the document corresponding to the docId.

Observable.from(docIds) // which has 8Lakh docIds retrieved based on your solution
        .flatMap(new Func1<String, Observable<HObj>>() {
          @Override
          public Observable<HObj> call(String docId) {
            logger.debug("docId [{}]", docId);
            _configBucket.async().get(docId)
            .flatMap(jdoc -> {
              HObj hObj = new HObj(jdoc.content().toMap(), true);
              logger.debug(hObj.toString());
              return Observable.just(hObj);
            }).subscribe();
            return Observable.empty();
          }
        }).toBlocking().subscribe();

My intention is to take List from the observable for all docIds. Where I went wrong?

I created a index without WHERE clause. The bucket has currently 8Lakh documents for type “cardio”.

Remove RAW keyword and try it.

No change. Still couldn’t able to get the document

I am not expert in Java.

@Achaius_kp, so your code isn’t quite right. You have multiple subscribes() going on there, with reactive programming you want to chain everything together (e.g. with flatMaps) and then subscribe once at the end. Something like this:

Observable.from(docIds) // which has 8Lakh docIds retrieved based on your solution
        .flatMap(new Func1<String, Observable<HObj>>() {
          @Override
          public Observable<HObj> call(String docId) {
            logger.debug("docId [{}]", docId);
            return _configBucket.async().get(docId)
            .map(jdoc -> {
              HObj hObj = new HObj(jdoc.content().toMap(), true);
              logger.debug(hObj.toString());
              return hObj;
            })
          }
        }).toBlocking().subscribe();

Thank you. Now it worked for me

@graham.pople,
The above code is not working it returns the following error…

"message" : "Backpressure, ringbuffer contains CONFIG=0 VIEW=0 SEARCH=0 QUERY=0 ANALYTICS=0 BINARY=12261 other=0 total=12261"

This code returns the timeout error with following message while running …

12:02:48,481 WARN  client.core.tracing.ThresholdLogReporter warn:150 - Operations over threshold: [{"top":[{"operation_name":"n1ql","last_local_id":"030958B03B3EB142/FFFFFFFFAB7828AA","last_local_address":"10.212.134.202:59900","last_remote_address":"10.62.1.11:8093","last_dispatch_us":521611,"last_operation_id":"7e32fa49-b842-4dac-8c1b-b2d528748541","total_us":33833506}],"service":"n1ql","count":1}]
12:02:51,993 ERROR my.service.MyServlet service:194 - Exception:
Backpressure, ringbuffer contains CONFIG=0 VIEW=0 SEARCH=0 QUERY=0 ANALYTICS=0 BINARY=12261 other=0 total=12261
    at com.couchbase.client.core.tracing.RingBufferMonitor.createException(RingBufferMonitor.java:85)
    at com.couchbase.client.core.CouchbaseCore.send(CouchbaseCore.java:239)
    at com.couchbase.client.java.bucket.api.Get$1$1.call(Get.java:70)
    at com.couchbase.client.java.bucket.api.Get$1$1.call(Get.java:66)
    at com.couchbase.client.java.util.OnSubscribeDeferAndWatch.call(OnSubscribeDeferAndWatch.java:82)
    at com.couchbase.client.java.util.OnSubscribeDeferAndWatch.call(OnSubscribeDeferAndWatch.java:57)
    at rx.Observable.unsafeSubscribe(Observable.java:10327)
    at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeFilter.call(OnSubscribeFilter.java:45)
    at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeFilter.call(OnSubscribeFilter.java:30)
    at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeMap.call(OnSubscribeMap.java:48)
    at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeMap.call(OnSubscribeMap.java:33)
    at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDefer.call(OnSubscribeDefer.java:51)
    at rx.internal.operators.OnSubscribeDefer.call(OnSubscribeDefer.java:35)

Kindly provide your thoughts on this.

@ssakthi.t looks like your threads are overwhelming the underlying SDK system to push out operations (KV in your case to the cluster). Are you performing bulk inserts?