Java application in standby mode with virtually no data consumes 100 ops/sec on `transactions` collection

The application accepts no requests, it solely initialized its scope and collections.

The Java application initiates a Transactions Java API with the following configuration:

The transactions collection has a constant 100 ops/sec:

For all application instances running, each on its own scope, this adds up to 100s of Get operations per second on each transaction collection:

I don’t know of any function that would use the transaction collection, but only the Java Transactions API.

Dependencies:

("com.couchbase.client" %% "scala-client" % "1.1.3").withSources(),
    ("com.couchbase.client" % "couchbase-transactions" % "1.1.6").withSources(),

In the Transaction’s API documentation at Cleanup [1], the documentation states that all Transaction Clients must be configured the same way, including the number of ATRs and cleanup window. I could not find if the number of ATRs affects the cleanup-stress in any way on the server.

Moreover, I don’t see transaction records being cleaned up. In my idea, transaction records would stay at around 0 during proper clean up, but if “clean-up” is just a way of modifying a record, then that’s OK.

What could be the problem? Is the Transactions API misconfigured?

[1] Distributed Transactions from the Java SDK | Couchbase Docs

Hi @zoltan.zvara
Short answer - it’s because you’ve set numATRs so high. The normal overhead from transactions cleanup is 17 reads/sec, for each set of ATRs. With your settings it will instead be 341 reads/sec per set.

Longer answer:

To quickly summarise transactions cleanup first (I think you already understand it, more for others coming across this thread):

1. Usually transactions will complete inside the transaction.run(). However there are cases where this isn’t possible, including application crashes, so we have a cleanup process (in fact we have two, the one we’re talking about now we call “lost” or “polling” cleanup).
  2. Transactions use Active Transaction Records (ATRs). These are regular documents you can see in the UI. Each transaction attempt (a single transaction can involve multiple attempts), has an entry in an ATR. ATRs can contain multiple attempts.
  3. The default number of ATRs is 1,024, and by default you’ll get one set per bucket. You can also use the metadaCollection() config param to choose where they go, and customise the number with numATRs(). (I see you’re using both.)
  4. Polling cleanup works by polling each ATR over the configured cleanupWindow(). It is performed automatically by the Transactions object as long as cleanupLostAttempts() is true (it is by default). By default it will look in the default location on each bucket - but if metadataCollection() is used, it will only look there.
  5. Polling cleanup uses a lightweight communication protocol involving a doc “_txn:client-record”, that shares ATRs between all Transactions objects looking at that bucket or collection. E.g. if you scale to 100 applications the polling overhead does not scale up with it.

The polling overhead itself is easy to calculate. Each set of ATRs is going to get fully polled, once every cleanupWindow. With default settings, that’s (1,024 ATRs * N / cleanupWindow), where N is how many sets of ATRs you have. So with transactions on a single bucket and default settings, it would be 1024 * 1 / 60 = 17 reads per second, for the polling. If any expired/lost transactions are found during this time, there are additional writes to fix those of course, but this will be rare in usual operation.

We feel 17 reads per second per ATR collection is not excessive overhead, and it’s part of why we’ve used the default settings of 1,024 ATRs and a 60 second cleanupWindow, which could be considered conservative. Polling is all reads, which are much cheaper than writes.

In your case, I see you’ve set the numATRs to 20x the default - 20,480 - and this is basically why you’re seeing so many reads. You now have 20,480 * N / 60 = 341 * N read ops per second.

We’ve provided the option to configure the number of ATRs for users that need to really push the transactional throughput: theoretically the ATRs could become a bottleneck at some point, though in practice, we have not yet seen this to be the case. We believe the default of 1,024 will work fine for the vast majority of users, and this value keeps the polling overhead down. If you don’t have multiple transactions trying to write to the same ATR concurrently, then you’ll see zero benefit from increasing it. One way to measure this is to check the transaction logs - you’ll see how long each operation is taking, and see if the ATR writes take substantially longer on average than other mutations. You can also use the OpenTelemetry functionality recently added for this.

To answer your other questions:

In my idea, transaction records would stay at around 0 during proper clean up

Yes, with recent optimisations to the protocol, you should see the ATRs stay pretty small the majority of the time. Unless you’re really pushing the throughput, I’d expect them to be nearly empty. (The optimisation is that the final stage of the protocol now removes the ATR entry immediately, rather than this happening a little later.) E.g. there is usually nothing for either of the two cleanup processes to do, now.

I could not find if the number of ATRs affects the cleanup-stress in any way on the server.

Hopefully that is now answered? I will add something to the documentation on this.

2 Likes

@graham.pople this was really useful and could have its own space in the documentation! Thanks!

Yes, with recent optimizations to the protocol, you should see the ATRs stay pretty small the majority of the time.

We see 20.275K items (ATRs?) in the transactions collection as you can see in the originating post (last image). I suppose then there is something wrong since these are not cleaned up?

Hi @zoltan.zvara
Indeed, I’ll add some form of the above into the docs. It can be a fine line between providing enough detail to be useful, without overwhelming - but at the least, there should be a note that the numATRs setting does involve a tradeoff consideration.

I should mention, I’m describing the current state of the system. We have longer term plans for transactions cleanup, which will reduce or remove the need for this ATR polling, and for Transactions objects to be involved. I’ll keep it vague for now as this is still very much in R&D phase, but watch this space :slight_smile:

We see 20.275K items (ATRs?) in the transactions collection

Yes that’s normal, the ATRs stick around after being created - it’s a fixed pool of documents that will grow up to your numATRs setting. Each transaction attempt needs to write to an ATR, so there’s no real benefit to removing them as they’ll be likely need to be recreated soon, and plenty of performance advantages from keeping them.

1 Like