Link error for memcached: undefined reference to `evthread_use_pthreads'

I am trying to build the latest Couchbase source (master) on Ubuntu16.04 with ppc64le platform.
At the build level its failing with below error :

[ 75%] Linking CXX executable …/memcached
…/libmemcached_daemon.a(libevent_locking.cc.o): In function setup_libevent_locking()': /root/meghali/couchbase/kv_engine/daemon/libevent_locking.cc:27: undefined reference toevthread_use_pthreads’
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
kv_engine/daemon/CMakeFiles/memcached.dir/build.make:119: recipe for target ‘kv_engine/memcached’ failed
make[2]: *** [kv_engine/memcached] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:11718: recipe for target ‘kv_engine/daemon/CMakeFiles/memcached.dir/all’ failed
make[1]: *** [kv_engine/daemon/CMakeFiles/memcached.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:138: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I found a similar bug being raised at the couchbase issues page, however the fix it mentions is already merged at master still its failing.
The issue link for reference is : https://issues.couchbase.com/browse/MB-23836?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Aworklog-tabpanel

Can someone please help me understand the issue and provide some pointers around it?

Thanks,
Meghali Dhoble

It sounds like the build of libevent you have isn’t build with pthreads support - see libevent documentation at: http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/libevent-2.0/doxygen/html/thread_8h.html

What version / build of libevent are you using? Given ppc isn’t a supported platform currently, you’ll likely need to manually build libevent - the flags we normally build with can be seen at:

Thanks for your reply @drigby!
I have installed libevent directly using “apt-get install” as its supported on ppc64le, hence I have not build it from source.
The version I have is libevent-2.0-5 and I see the libevent_pthread libraries also listed under the path: /usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu,

/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libevent_pthreads-2.0.so.5
/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libevent_pthreads.a
/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libevent_pthreads-2.0.so.5.1.9
/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libevent_pthreads.so

I am not sure if there are more files expected to be present here. If you still think that building manually with those flags should help then I will give it a try.
Thanks,
Meghali

Note we use libevent 2.18 (see https://github.com/couchbase/tlm/blob/master/deps/packages/CMakeLists.txt#L164) so you might need a newer version - I don’t know when the missing function you’re encountering was introduced.

Hi @drigby,
As per your suggestion, I have installed libevent 2.18 and tried the build again. However I am still getting the same error.
I installed libevent 2.18 from source and followed below steps:

$ git clone https://github.com/couchbasedeps/libevent.git
$ cd libevent && git checkout release-2.1.8-stable-cb
$ ACLOCAL=“aclocal -I /usr/share/aclocal” autoreconf -if
$ ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make && sudo make install

Please correct me if I have missed something.

Hi @drigby
I tried re-building the libevent with an additional flag -D EVENT__DISABLE_THREAD_SUPPORT=OFF
It generated the libevent_pthreads.so and all relevant files still the error is observed.

Also I tried to see more detailed logs with verbose output for the specific component make command, which gives below logs:
$ make -ddd
No need to remake target ‘/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libssl.so’.
Considering target file ‘/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so’.
Looking for an implicit rule for ‘/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so’.
Trying pattern rule with stem ‘libcrypto.so’.
Trying implicit prerequisite ‘/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so,v’.
Trying pattern rule with stem ‘libcrypto.so’.

Trying implicit prerequisite ‘/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/SCCS/s.libcrypto.so’.
No implicit rule found for ‘/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so’.
Finished prerequisites of target file ‘/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so’.
No need to remake target ‘/usr/lib/powerpc64le-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so’.
Finished prerequisites of target file ‘kv_engine/memcached’.
Must remake target ‘kv_engine/memcached’.
Putting child 0x10000b5ac80 (kv_engine/memcached) PID 8304 on the chain.
Live child 0x10000b5ac80 (kv_engine/memcached) PID 8304
[ 94%] Linking CXX executable …/memcached
Reaping winning child 0x10000b5ac80 PID 8304
Live child 0x10000b5ac80 (kv_engine/memcached) PID 8306
…/libmemcached_daemon.a(libevent_locking.cc.o): In function setup_libevent_locking()': /root/meghali/couchbase/kv_engine/daemon/libevent_locking.cc:28: undefined reference toevthread_use_pthreads’

Looking at the logs I am unable to figure out what is missing. Any pointers around this would be helpful.

From that it still sounds like the evthread_use_pthreads symbol is missing from your build of pthreads. If you examine the list of symbols in your libevent shared libraries using nm -D does that symbol appear? e.g.

nm -D libevent_pthreads.so | grep evthread_use_pthreads

?

The other thing you could check is which libevent libraries are you linking against - if you run make VERBOSE=1 it will print out the full link line.

Hi @drigby,
Yes, the nm -D command lists the symbols for libevent shared libraries for me.

~/meghali/couchbase/libevent# nm -D /usr/local/lib/libevent_pthreads.so |grep evthread_use_pthreads
0000000000001558 T evthread_use_pthreads

Here is the output with VERBOSE=1 option with make :

[ 94%] Linking CXX executable …/memcached
cd /root/meghali/couchbase/build/kv_engine/daemon && /root/meghali/cmake-3.7.1/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/memcached.dir/link.txt --verbose=1
/usr/bin/c++ -std=c++11 -g -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-braces -fno-strict-aliasing -pedantic -fvisibility=hidden -pthread -Werror=switch -O3 -DNDEBUG -g CMakeFiles/memcached.dir/main.cc.o -o …/memcached -Wl,-rpath,/root/meghali/couchbase/build/kv_engine:/root/meghali/couchbase/build/platform/cbcompress:/root/meghali/couchbase/build/platform:/root/meghali/couchbase/build/phosphor:/usr/local/lib: -rdynamic …/libmemcached_daemon.a …/libauditd.so.0.1.0 …/libmcd_time.so.1.0.0 …/libmcbp.a …/libmcd_util.so.1.0.0 …/…/platform/cbcompress/libcbcompress.so …/libengine_utilities.so …/…/platform/libJSON_checker.so.1.0.0 …/libmemcached_rbac.so.1.0.0 …/libcbsasl.so.1.1.1 …/…/platform/libdirutils.so.0.1.0 …/libcbcrypto.so.1.0.0 …/…/subjson/lib/libsubjson.a …/libxattr.so.0.1.0 …/…/platform/libcJSON.so.1.1.0 …/…/platform/libplatform.a …/…/platform/libplatform_so.so.0.1.0 …/…/phosphor/libphosphor.so -ldl -lpthread -lrt -lm -lsnappy /usr/local/lib/libjemalloc.so -levent_core -levent_extra -lssl -lcrypto
…/libmemcached_daemon.a(libevent_locking.cc.o): In function setup_libevent_locking()': /root/meghali/couchbase/kv_engine/daemon/libevent_locking.cc:28: undefined reference toevthread_use_pthreads’
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
kv_engine/daemon/CMakeFiles/memcached.dir/build.make:119: recipe for target ‘kv_engine/memcached’ failed
make[2]: *** [kv_engine/memcached] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/root/meghali/couchbase/build’
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:11718: recipe for target ‘kv_engine/daemon/CMakeFiles/memcached.dir/all’ failed
make[1]: *** [kv_engine/daemon/CMakeFiles/memcached.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/meghali/couchbase/build’
Makefile:138: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Note you don’t have libevent_pthreads included in the set of libraries you are linking against - you only have core and extra:

You probably want to look at the contents of tlm/cmake/Modules/FindCouchbaseLibevent.cmake and the matching CMake log output - you likely have some configuration issue where the build system isn’t including libevent_pthread in LIBEVENT_LIBRARIES.

Thanks @drigby, that was a perfect catch! My code doesn’t have the library added for libevent_pthreads. Your pointers helped me understand the issue.

I had added the paths at tlm/cmake/Modules/FindCouchbaseLibevent.cmake for “find_library (LIBEVENT_THREAD_LIB” however I figured out that the code is not entering the conditional statement “if(NOT _supported_platform)” where the library paths are set for pthread libraries.

I am now going through the code and trying to understand more as to why this conditional doesn’t include architecture “_arch” check and which un-supported platforms this part of code might have been written for.