My Unity game - Couchbase Lite roadmap & gotchas

FYI the reason I said that is because you were talking about replicating between two apps on the same device. Let’s start with some basic facts: The app needs to be running in order to process REST requests. I know Android is much less strict than iOS about what you can do in the background but still I’m sure it doesn’t arbitrarily allow things running permanently in the background without some setup. I’m pretty sure on iOS this will not be possible due to backgrounding restrictions.

As far as the IL2CPP issue, I’m still waiting for a response from Unity on that. Using Mono works for deploying to device, but it’s not acceptable for the app store.

Space Shooter will work on Standalone, iOS, and Android (parallel to what we support outside of Unity).

Anyway I think you are confused about the term REST API. It doesn’t necessarily mean the “listener” component. What @sweetiewill was referring to was making REST calls to sync gateway from the web player build. The listener component depends on the Couchbase Lite component so you won’t be able to use it in web player anyway. So what he was suggesting was to store the data in another way on web player and use REST calls to interact with Sync Gateway from your web player build.

Another possibility is investigating PouchDB which is similar to Couchbase Lite, but written in Javascript. It is designed to interact with backends that implement the CouchDB sync protocol (which Couchbase Lite / Sync Gateway does). I don’t think anyone has ever tried running it inside of Unity before, but maybe it is worth a shot.

Again, I’m looking for a code-once and deploy-on-all solution

Aren’t we all? :wink: