Performance on the IN operator

n1ql

select * from bucket where field in [“a”,“b”,“c”]

vs

select * from bucket where field in [“a”,“b”,“c”, “d”, “e”, “f”, “g”, “h”, “i”, “j”, “k”, “l”, “m”, “n”, “o”, “p”, “q”, “r”, “s”, “t”, “u”, “v”, “w”, “x”, “y”, “z”, “1”, “2”, “3”, “4”, “5”, “6”, “7”, “8”, “9”, “10”]

has an substantial increase in performance, from 10ms to 100ms. is there any other way to optimize this query or write it differently?

You can create index on field.
CREATE INDEX ix1 ON bucket(field);

If number of fields increased IndexScan needs to look for those values in index and results can increase which in turn increases latency. In addition In evaluated one by one.

I already have an index, where its like this:
create index ix1 on bucket(blah,blahblah,some,other,things,field,morefield,something)

where field is the one im using for the in operator.

Are you saying i should have a separate index on field itself?

PS: The query is more like this:
select something from bucket where blah = ‘1’ and blahblah = ‘2’ and some = ‘3’ and other = ‘4’ and things = ‘5’ and field in [“a”,“b”,“c”, “d”, “e”, “f”, “g”, “h”, “i”, “j”, “k”, “l”, “m”, “n”, “o”, “p”, “q”, “r”, “s”, “t”, “u”, “v”, “w”, “x”, “y”, “z”, “1”, “2”, “3”, “4”, “5”, “6”, “7”, “8”, “9”, “10”] and morefield = ‘6’

If you already have like above index is good. You can check EXPLAIN and profiling. There is no further optimization.

https://blog.couchbase.com/optimize-n1ql-performance-using-request-profiling/

For those interested, i found an optimization that seems to work for now:

use CONTAINS

i.e.
select something from bucket where blah = ‘1’ and blahblah = ‘2’ and some = ‘3’ and other = ‘4’ and things = ‘5’ and CONTAINS(“abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789", field) and morefield = ‘6’

If field is single character and want to match ascii character or number you can also try this
(filed BETWEEN “a” AND “z” OR field BETWEEN “0” AND “9”)