RAM-only bucket possible?

I have only begun to use Couchbase, and I have a somewhat obscure use case in mind that may not be possible.

I would like to create a Bucket that NEVER writes ANY of its data to disk. Nevermind the WHY, just suffice to say that I need this data (which will be set to expire within a couple hours) that I would like to store in a dedicated bucket to only remain in RAM. If this data is written to disk, it will violate a key requirement that I am trying to solve, which comes from external sources.

This data is generally very fleeting/temporary, and will be created and then deleted fairly soon thereafter (minutes usually). The data will probably be mostly binary (zip files possibly).

The question is, can this even be done? I’m running Couchbase 2.1.0 on CentOs in my development setup, and just learning how it all works.

Thanks,

Benjamin

When Creating a bucket select “Memcached” bucket instead of Couchbase. Then the bucket will not write to disk and be a memory only bucket.

http://www.couchbase.com/docs/couchbase-manual-2.0/couchbase-introduction-architecture-buckets.html

So as Househippo said, yes you can use a RAM only storage using a Memcached Bucket.

That said I am interested to know why you do not want store data on disk using a Couchbase Bucket? The I/O operation as done asynchronously so no impact on the application that use Couchbase, and using a Couchbase bucket you have some benefits such as replication and rebalance.

Thanks for the answer - you’re right, Memcached buckets will do what I’m trying to do, but the limitations are something to consider. The 1MB cap isn’t a deal-breaker, but I think this will work for what we want to do in this case.

I’ve read about some options for manipulating settings “under the hood” - I’m not sure we’d want to do this necessarily, but is it possible to raise the size limit on Memcached buckets from 1MB to perhaps 5MB?