Sdk compilation issue on high sierra

Just wondering if anyone has successfully installed/built the python sdk on MacOS High Sierra?

I’m running into this error:

gcc -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -L/Users/jonernster/anaconda2/lib -arch x86_64 -arch x86_64 build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/exceptions.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/ext.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/result.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/opresult.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/callbacks.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/cntl.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/convert.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/bucket.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/store.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/constants.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/multiresult.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/miscops.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/typeutil.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/oputil.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/get.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/counter.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/http.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/htresult.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/ctranscoder.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/observe.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/iops.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/connevents.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/pipeline.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/views.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/n1ql.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/fts.o build/temp.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/src/ixmgmt.o -L/usr/local/lib -L/Users/jonernster/anaconda2/lib -lcouchbase -o build/lib.macosx-10.6-x86_64-2.7/couchbase/_libcouchbase.so
    ld: file not found: /usr/lib/system/libsystem_coretls.dylib for architecture x86_64
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------
Command "/Users/jonernster/anaconda2/bin/python -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/private/var/folders/nz/wbv7ph057zzcqtt5h6vy06qh0000gp/T/pip-build-Impg6F/couchbase/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /var/folders/nz/wbv7ph057zzcqtt5h6vy06qh0000gp/T/pip-9u9_M2-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /private/var/folders/nz/wbv7ph057zzcqtt5h6vy06qh0000gp/T/pip-build-Impg6F/couchbase/

Thanks

Hi @jmernster,

This looks to be due to the MacOS CoreTLS library being relocated in High Sierra. There is a workaround posted below:

i.e.:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcoretls.dylib /usr/lib/libsystem_coretls.dylib

This seems to be a transitive dependency, i.e. libcouchbase.2.dylib->libSystem.B.dylib ->libsystem_coretls.dylib - just going to talk to the libcouchbase maintainer to determine if this is a known issue, so we can arrive at a permanent fix to this problem in the next release.

Is this workaround satisfactory for the time being?

Many thanks,

Ellis

Hi Ellis,

Thanks for the response. The would be sufficient for my needs but unfortunately I seem to have an issue creating that link:

jonernster$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libcoretls.dylib /usr/lib/libsystem_coretls.dylib
ln: /usr/lib/libsystem_coretls.dylib: Operation not permitted

Same thing if I directly run as root…seems odd?

Ah, possibly it requires you to disable System Integrity Protection temporarily to achieve this… However, on inspection of my Sierra machine, it appears that the renaming has already occurred, and I can compile/link with no issues. Have you just upgraded from an older OS? Perhaps there is something cached. If you have been trying to build from a git checkout, could you try:
rm -rf build/ && python setup.py --buildext --inplace && python setup.py install ?

If this fails, perhaps try building libcouchbase from source by checking out from the couchbase/libcouchbase repository on GitHub, as follows:

git clone http://github.com/couchbase/libcouchbase.git
cd libcouchbase && export LCB_DIR=$PWD && cmake -G 'Unix Makefiles' && sudo make install

Then check out and build couchbase-python-client:

cd .. && git clone http://github.com/couchbase/couchbase-python-client.git
cd couchbase-python-client
python setup.py clean && python setup.py build_ext --inplace --library-dir $LCB_DIR/lib --include-dir $LCB_DIR/include && sudo python setup.py install

Hope that helps.

Many thanks,

Ellis

Hi Ellis,

I was able to compile libcouchbase after installing cmake using the steps provided, but unfortunately the couchbase-python-client fails the same way as previously mentioned, even after creating a new build directory with no reference to a previously attempted install/compile.

The upgrade to high sierra was from the previous latest version so it wasn’t a massive jump up to the latest or anything.

Hi @jmernster,

Thanks for the reply. That’s interesting… Perhaps there was some transitional code in Sierra that allows it to work. Will try to get this fixed permanently, but in the meantime, I can only suggest disabling SIP, making the symlink, enabling SIP, rebooting and trying to build again.

I suppose this should have the advantage that it will work with the stock PyPi packages, but hopefully we will come up with a proper solution in the very near future.

Many thanks,

Ellis

Hi Ellis,

I’ll give that a shot next time I plan to reboot and post back; thanks for your help!

Disabled SIP and ran sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libsystem_coretls.dylib /usr/lib/system/libsystem_coretls.dylib which allowed me to compile the couchbase-python-client.

Thanks again for the help!

You’re welcome - I assume you were able to reenable SIP and reboot and retain the changes? Obviously I would not recommend keeping SIP disabled.

Anyway, will raise a bug about this on Monday to test this on High Sierra and come up with a proper fix.

Thanks,

Ellis

As promised: https://issues.couchbase.com/browse/PYCBC-455

Many thanks,

Ellis

Thanks Ellis. Confirming that the python client still works (just doing a simple from couchbase.bucket import Bucket test) after re-enabling SIP.

Thanks

Hi @jmernster, we have been trying to reproduce this on our High Sierra installs for a while but not come across the same issue. Have you seen it on any other High Sierra systems?

Many thanks,

Ellis

Unfortunately I only have access to this one laptop that I experienced the issue on. It’s not a brand new laptop/fresh install so perhaps a combination of previous sdk installs, using brew and/or compiled installations created some sort of conflict/problem along the way. If you guys aren’t seeing the same issue then I wouldn’t spend too much time on it, especially since you were able to find a solution/workaround.

Thanks

OK, many thanks @jmernster - I will put this issue to sleep for now then.