Tomcat error: WARN com.couchbase.client.vbucket.provider.BucketConfigurationProvider: Could not parse config, retrying bootstrap

Hi,

I have tomcat 9.0.64 running and connected to couchbase session bucket by adding details in tomcat/conf/contexts.xml file. When I try with couchbase 6.0.0 the tomcat has no problem in starting but when I try to upgrade couchbase from 6.0.0 to 6.5.2 then the tomcat wont even start

Please find the tomcat logs below:

INFO net.spy.memcached.auth.AuthThread: Authenticated to dev.test.io/192.168.66.51:11210
2022-07-17 12:23:39.403 WARN com.couchbase.client.vbucket.provider.BucketConfigurationProvider: Could not parse config, retrying bootstrap.
java.text.ParseException: JSONObject[“proxy”] not found.

WARN com.couchbase.client.vbucket.ConfigurationProviderHTTP: Provided URI http://dev.test.io:8091/pools has an unparsable response…skipping
java.text.ParseException: JSONObject[“proxy”] not found

I have the following jar files in tomcat/lib folder
memcached-session-manager-1.9.5.jar
memcached-session-manager-tc8-1.9.5.jar
spymemcached-2.12.3.jar
couchbase-client-1.4.12.jar

Please let me know if I have to update any jar files or any other configuration, thank you.

Hi @jeev

I’m afraid Couchbase 6.5 and later no longer speak the memcached binary protocol… and those are some ancient Couchbase clients.

Is this Martin Grotzke’s memcached-session-manager library? If so, it might be possible to add a new StorageClient that uses a modern Couchbase client.

If you’re willing to consider alternatives, the Couchbase documentation for Using Couchbase Server as a Session Store (Java) suggests a solution for using Couchabse as a session store for Spring.

Thanks,
David

Thank you for your response.
I am not sure whose library it is. I just got it from internet and I am new to this.
This is what I have for couchbase session bucket in my tomcat/conf/context.xml file

WEB-INF/web.xml
WEB-INF/tomcat-web.xml
${catalina.base}/conf/web.xml

<Manager className="de.javakaffee.web.msm.MemcachedBackupSessionManager"
    memcachedNodes="http://dev.test.io:8091/pools"
    memcachedProtocol="binary"
    username="session"
    password="password"
/>

So I am upgrading couchbase from 6.0.0 to 6.5 do I need to modify the above setup with something else or any other way, thank you

My understanding is that memcached-session-manager is not currently compatible with Couchbase 6.5 or later. (Couchabse 6.5 no longer includes Moxi, which was the bit of software that let Couchbase pretend to be a memcached server.) I don’t think there’s a config option that will make it work; it would require code changes to the library.

The memcached-session-manager library is not developed or supported by Couchbase. I would recommend raising an issue in the GitHub project linked above. If you’re a Couchbase Enterprise subscriber, please also file a support ticket to help us track interest in a Tomcat session manager for Couchbase.

Thanks,
David

CC: @AV25242 @ianmccloy

thank you for your suggestion :slight_smile: