Total number of indexes

Hello,

I am dynamically creating application-specific spreadsheets within the bucket, where “type” is the name of the spreadsheet. I have to allow an unbounded number of spreadsheets to be created with search and query.

Since I don’t know upfront which field to index. I am statically creating fields “f1”, “f2”, … “fn” and indexing them upfront while mapping application data to these fields in the application layer.

Additionally, I have to pre-create the indexes per data type, for example, 5 indexes for number, 5 indexes for string, etc. and fit my spreadsheet into this structure.

So the question is how many indexes I can create per bucket? Assume fixed-latency architecture with all the updates to all the indexes to complete within 1 sec on a high-end datacenter with all the bells and whistles including memory-optimized indexes of enterprise edition with two replicas.

Inverting this question, in 1 sec how many indexes can be updated?

Also, are index updates triggered with “doc” updates or “field” updates. Hopefully, field since I want to take advantage of “mutateIn” field level APIs.

Many thanks for your answer.

With gratitude,
Neome Web

There is no hard limit for the number of indexes. The cluster can be scaled out horizontally as the #of indexes increases. You can monitor index update stats at “Index Mutations Remaining” which is the number of documents pending to be indexed.