UI pagination - getting OOM beam.smp [4.5.1-2844 Community Edition (build-2844)]

We’re using version 4.5.1-2844 Community Edition (build-2844).
Recently we had an incident on Prod env, and we’re also able to reproduce on stage - an beam.smp OOM.
Issue was caused after paginating (tens of pages) through some docs…
Prod cluster contains 4 (15GB) nodes, but that doesn’t really matters - as stage contains 3 (4GB) nodes, and issue reproduced easily on both envs.
I’ve found an old related post that mentioned a potential fix: [WEB/UI] pagination buttons doesn't go further than 10 pages (“We are working on the ability to efficiently page through all the documents for a future release, which would avoid this problem/limitation.”)
Can you please share if this issue was fixed, and in which version?

Hi @gilhoren,

Unfortunately, version 4.5.1 is quite old (released nearly 6 years ago). I am sure that we have fixed the issue that you are observing. I have not observed any issue while going over the docs.

Would it be possible for you to switch to a newer version of Couchbase? We have added a lot of features as well as improved the performance many times over.

Hi @nithishr - thanks a lot for your answer.
I would really appreciate if you can specify the MINIMUM / OLDEST version where this issue was fixed.
Can you please let me know if for this issue is not reproducible while browsing “deeply” into the various document pages?
Also - same was reproduced when trying to export logs. Is this also fixed now?

Hi @gilhoren, the UI pagination has received a number of improvements over the years. It still gets progressively slower the farther you page, but performance is much much better with the latest release. How far do you need to page through the documents? 20 pages? 100 pages? 1000 pages?

Release 5.0 does support using n1ql primary indexes when available for paging documents in the UI. This is performs somewhat better, but you need to have a primary index on the bucket.

I think there were some server improvements in 6.0 or 6.5 to improve paging, but I don’t know precisely which version. I asked around, and if I get an answer I’ll post it here.

Thanks a lot @eben
I will look into using n1ql query, however I’m not sure we do have primary indexes for all cases.
My concern is around the OOM issue. I’m perfectly fine with performance getting affected while fetching more and more docs - the question is if in version 6.0 (or 6.5 and pending your response) - have you completely solved the OOM issue occurred as a result of this pagination issue?

Hi @eben - I’ve reviewed the seems to be related Jira tickets - and found this:

https://issues.couchbase.com/browse/MB-42347

It seems like if we consider to update our VERY old version - it is better to use at least this version (7.0.0-4233). WDYT?

Hi @gilhoren,

The issue (MB-42347) you pointed out does not sound like the one you are facing. This was an issue that came up in Couchbase 7.0 & fixed in a later build of the same version.