Unable to save a new eventing function

For some reason, I’m unable to save new Eventing functions. I’ve been able to do it in the past and my permissions have not changed (Full Admin). In my browser, I click “Save” but nothing happens.

• I can’t add a new event function.
  • I can, however, edit already-added events.

I’m not seeing an error messages indicating a cause for this inability to save. The “Save” button appears enabled that indicates (to me) it should be savable at that point.
There is a log entry saying this:

Client-side error-report for user "mlearner" on node 'private-stuff-here.svc':
User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/xx.xx.xx.xx Safari/537.36
Failed to get bucket insights.
Try refreshing the bucket insights.

Couchbase 6.6.2.

Hi @malclear,

This sounds bad, I will try test on my macbook when I have a change, at the office today ans didn’t bring it :frowning: I think I use Catalina 10.15.7 same as yours so I should be able to check.

Note from Supported Platforms | Couchbase Docs the list of supported platforms currently specify only Certified 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.12 (Sierra), 10.13 (High Sierra), using other releases are sort of at our own risk.

Until then you could try a quick work around:

I typically work on Linux, can you try to use the REST API, to export/import a function and let me know if that works refer to Eventing REST API | Couchbase Docs for details. This can get you over the hump.

curl -XGET http://Administrator:password@192.168.1.5:8096/api/v1/functions/[sample_name] -o [sample_name].json

rename the file [sample_name].json to [sample_name2].json edit / change the function name of sample_name to sample_name2 inside [sample_name2].json

curl -XPOST -d @./[sample_name2].json http://Administrator:password@192.168.1.5:8096/api/v1/functions/[sample_name2]

This should give you a new function that you can edit to as needed.

Best

Jon Strabala
Principal Product Manager - Server‌

Hi @malclear ,

Okay, picking up on this again I am indeed on 10.17.7 like you, just downloaded 6.6.2 (note 6.6.3 is now GA: Release Notes for Couchbase Server 6.6 | Couchbase Docs) so I am using Enterprise Edition 6.6.2 build 9588

As always follow the uninstall steps in Uninstall Couchbase Server | Couchbase Docs

1. There are three (3) steps you can use the UI or the terminal method.

Install as per instructions (I used the UI method) Install Couchbase Server on macOS | Couchbase Docs

1. Download 6.6.2
  2. Install the DMG file via the UI
  3. From the application folder launch Couchbase Server

Setup your server and exercise the Function lifecycle operations.

1. Make two buckets source and meta
  2. Create a function “test1” in the UI it works (keep the default code)
  3. Export a the function from the UI
  4. Import the function you just exported (and rename it to “test2”) using the UI
  5. Deploy both Functions and verify logs against a mutation
  6. Undeploy and Delete both Functions
  7. Import the exported Function
  8. Deploy the imported function
  9. Verify the mutation was processed

All of the above worked for me no issues. So I am stumped perhaps you need to clear your browser’s cache or do a force reload on the browser as you may have old javascript code cached from a prior version.

On the off chance that you did not make a change to your JavaScript code - the UI does behave a bit different now…

The UI will not enable the “Save” button unless the JavaScript code is the editor is actually altered or updated in 6.6.2.

If you don’t change the initial default JavaScript code the hyperlink at the top of the code editor “< back to Eventing” (or any left menu action) will leave the editor and your code is set to the default.

Note if you do may a change the “Save” button will become active and then hit “< back to Eventing” you will get a warning because your changes are not saved.

I hope this is your actual issue not finding the "< back to Eventing link!

I tested the above in both Chrome and Safari browsers!

• Chrome: Version 92.0.4515.159 (Official Build) (x86_64)
  • Safari: Version 14.1.2 (15611.3.10.1.5, 15611)

Best

Jon Strabala
Principal Product Manager - Server‌