User-manage command equivalent in couchbase 3.0 & 4.o

I am using couchbase-cli shipped with 6.0 version, when trying to pull user list from version 3.0. it throws error.

do we have the backward compatibility for older versions or what is the command equivalent to user-manage in 3.0 and 4.0

There has been major changes around authentication & authorization in Couchbase Server in versions 5.0 and higher. Please check https://docs.couchbase.com/server/5.0/security/concepts-rbac.html

Please provide the following:

• May I ask what command are you running (redact sensitive info) and what error do you get?
  • Are you actually running a 6.0 cli tool against a 3.0 and 4.0 cluster? Or are you referring to using the 6.0 cli against a 6.0 Couchbase Server cluster?

If you are using a 6.0 cli tool against 3.0 or 4.0, may I ask why are you doing that? Generally you should be using cli tools that ship with the same version of your Couchbase Server.

If you are actually running the 6.0 cli command against a 6.0 Couchbase Server cluster, then please take a look at https://docs.couchbase.com/server/6.0/cli/cbcli/couchbase-cli-user-manage.html

• Below is the command that I am using to retrieve the users list from a server.
  • I am using 6.0 cli tool against 3.0 & 4.0

I have a centralized server where I have installed couch base 6.0 and running specific checks on remote servers that are related to configuration validations and security validations for our centralized administration. we have few servers running on 3.0 and 4.0.

I know that these versions are deprecated but have to maintain them until we migrate to latest version.

@sagarkvs I would suggest that you run each tool against the Couchbase Server that it ships with, otherwise you might run into other (possibly more serious) issues. Would it not be possible to just run the command from one of the 3.0 or 4.0 cluster nodes? Do you have to run it from the centralized node?

We can run but, This will hinder our concept of centralized monitoring and also stopping point for automation stuff around couchbase.

feel having backward compatibility in client tools will help much in automation tasks.

@sagarkvs As you know, when you jump several major versions in the product, some functionality and API endpoints might change and so as recommended it is best to use for each Couchbase Server version the tools that come with it.

If you must have a central node, one workaround I could think of is to host two Linux virtual machines on your central Windows node, and install Couchbase Server 3.0 and Couchbase Server 4.0 on these Linux VMs. And then you can run the commands from there for each corresponding cluster. You don’t need to have Couchbase Server running on these virtual machines, you can shutdown Couchbase Server on these two VMs, since the commands can run against the remote cluster regardless.