View vs GIS vs manual indexing

Suppose I have the following use case: I use Couchbase to store user accounts. Each user have a list of phone numbers associated to him/her, and two different users can’t share the same phone number. The key (KV key) is a randomly generated UUID. The default mode for authentication and new account creation is via phone number + password.

Each time a user authenticates/creates a new account, the system will need to look up if the phone number has been used, so somehow, I have to index these numbers.

Now, there are 3 different ways to do it View, GIS and manual secondary indexing (à la http://blog.couchbase.com/manual-secondary-indexes). I’ve tried GIS (I’m aware that it hasn’t supported indexing for arrays yet, so I just did for the case where each user has 1 phone number for testing purposes) and got very slow performance: 100 N1QL queries per second and hence, only around 100 new account creation per second (number of index scans is around 100 per sec as well).

To compare, I tested creating new accounts without checking if phone number has been used (i.e. no use of N1QL query to find out about the phone) and I got very high performance (couple of thousands).

So it seems like looking up secondary indexes is quite slow. Is this the expected behavior? If not what should I do to fix. Would View or Manual secondary indexing improve the performance?

Thanks!

As we’ve been discussing on other thread, looking up the value just in secondary index should come back in sub millisecond with the use of prepared statement. Please try that.